Sunday, July 25, 2010

Diary of a Anorexic GIrl by Morgan Menzie

So, I really am stretching it by calling this one non-fiction.  I generally include memoirs even though that's usually a completely different genre.  This time, I chose a based-on-a-true-story diary which means that it is a lot embellished or fictionalized and certainly crafted more than a chronicle. But since I had to read three  this month to catch up, I say it counts.  For August, I'll step it back up a notch.

As the title suggests, this book is the diary of a girl throughout middle school and high school dealing with your typical teen angst issues - fitting in, finding a boyfriend and trying to figure out who you are - as well as her process pretty much from start to finish of dealing with anorexia.  The diary certainly hit the nail on the head when it comes to that self-aware intelligent teen with a flare for the dramatic writing for herself.  I'm fairly certain if I went back to my diaries, I'd find a very similar style and even the sporadic letters to the future and side commentary to the reader.

Because the character was so familiar, it was easy to get absorbed in Blythe's world and even start to believe her worldview made just a little bit of sense.  This leaves you a little bit shocked when all of a sudden the outside world breaks in and you realize just how unhealthy Blythe has gotten.  This book was heartfelt and honest and an interesting way to present the issue.

It looks like it is in a series of religious teen help books which I didn't realize when I picked it up.  Blythe's school is a Christian private school and she does write about her issues with faith throughout her worries about boys, friends and clothes, but it doesn't overwhelm the book.   There are some very very brief guides in the back about how to get help if you have an eating disorder and how to help a friend with one.  My jury is still out on whether this book would help someone who was struggling themselves, but it might give a bit of insight to someone worried about a friend or child.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this book to just anyone.  I don't think it was ground-breaking or so provocative that it should make it onto people's lists.  But there is a right time and a place for everything. It might be educational in certain situations and then I would say it's worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails