Monday, March 1, 2010

22. Try 10 new restaurants

I limited my restaurant goal to 10 new restaurants because while I love trying new restaurants, we tend to be homebodies and eat at home more often than not.  This past weekend, however, I had a surprise staycation in NYC and got to try a couple of new restaurants that I really liked. 

The first was Spice Market which has been on my list forever.  It has a mix of Asian-influenced dishes including Indian, Thai, Vietnamese and Chinese influences.  I had a lovely chicken and coconut milk soup, great chicken samosas, spring rolls and a number of other tasty small plates.  The decor is incredible and really transports you out of the meatpacking district and into another world.

The second was Almond, a take on the French bistro.  They had a really interesting mix of typical bistro fare such as steak frites and innovative and creative dishes like a homemade cavatelli with shrimp sausage and chick peas.  I sampled the cavatelli which was really satisfying and refreshing.  Other stars that I really enjoyed (basically everything I ate) included the roasted beet salad with homemade ricotta crostini, salt cod croquetes and the prosciutto and truffle macaroni and cheese.  My one critique would be that in an effort to be really luxe and truffle-y, there may have actually been an overload of truffle in the gratin.  The dish included chopped truffles (and one really big slice that I uncovered) rather than truffle oil, and dare I say, a little really does go a long way. 

I don't think I'll be adding tons of new restaurants at the same rate as I did this past weekend, but should I reach my 10 early, I might add a second round and see how far I get in the 1001 days.


Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails