Friday, March 19, 2010

47. Read 202 new books.

I finished two relatively quick reads in the past week or two.  First, Mercy by Jodi Picoult which is the story of another small town in New England rocked by death (murder?) and a novel criminal trial.  Someone once called Jodi Picoult novels the "Lifetime movies" of fiction novels and I have to say it couldn't be more true. 

Each one has the crucial mix of love, despair, suspense and small town dramatics.  But rather than be trite or (too) formulaic, I find them all, including Mercy, to be engaging reads that are thought provoking but light and ultimately enjoyable, even if I get too emotionally involved.  Some are better than others and I'd say this one comes in about the middle of the pack. 

I also read The Family Tree by Carol Cadwalader (for some reason I couldn't add a link).  This takes the family drama and flips it on its ear, looking at nature v. nurture, genetics v. experience.  The author uses some interesting elements to make this novel fresh as it is part personal account, part dissertation looking at words and concepts.  I don't think Cadwalader really followed completely through since the narration has the voice of a stunted 10 year old throughout each section, regardless of the fact that the now-grown woman is reflecting on her own childhood and that of her grandmother.  At the end, it was a good quick read, not great by any stretch of the imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails